New Plymouth Sustainable Living Info
New Plymouth District Council became a member of the programme in July 2015 but did not renew for 2017-2018 year, so previous users from the public will find their free access passwords have changed. We'd love to have your Council back in our team but meanwhile individual household or community organisation subscriptions can be arranged for a fee - contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange!
More information on a key local NGO partner Taranaki Environmental Education Trust.
Suggestions for additional local public information content on this page (not commercial advertising) by email to Rhys@sustainableliving.org.nz
Workplace sustainability info for New Plymouth here.
- Recycling, e-waste and green waste information for New Plymouth. Roadside recycling collection uses wheelie bins.
- Use BioBoost safe garden fertiliser (pictured in blue container) made from heat-dried biosolids at the council's waste water plant, to close the loop
Eco-Design of buildings
- Eco Design – warm, dry and healthy ways to design your home and workplace.
- Design considerations – encouraging people to consider the environmental impact of design choices.
- Heating and Cooling your home (EECA)
- Planning for water efficiency
Water conservation – for gardeners, commercial properties as well as tips for inside and outside of the house.
- Council water supplies
- Gardening and lawn tips from the Parks & Reserves team
- Bioboost fertiliser from NPDC
- Using water wisely in the garden
- Community orchards
Energy & power bills
- Home Energy Scheme – an alternative way to fund home installation and home energy products for our ratepayers.
- Simple ways to lower energy bills (EECA)
Getting around NP
- Let’s Go – NPDC's award winning active travel programme encouraging people to choose walking, biking and bussing over car trips. Enjoy our coastal pathways on foot, kids' scooter or bike.
Taranaki Environmental Education Trust
The Trust currently facilitates the Sustinable Living Programme in the New Plymouth District through the 'Taranaki Environment Centre' (formerly named HIVE Taranki).
The Environment Centre is located at Metro Plaza, Shop 3, 33 Devon Street West. Do call in or check the new website for more information on future living skills in Taranaki.
A useful directory of local organisations is published on that website and also on Pinterest.